Question

fry33

how do I get collection agencies to negotiate
I have 11 old doctor bills in collection and have sent settlement letters to each collection agency offering 50% pay off and requesting a "paid in full" to the 3 credit agencies. This was 1 month ago and have not received one response. Should I resend another letter or just start calling them? I am worried that a verbal contract will not guarantee that they report my payment to the credit agencies.

Most Helpful Response

Have you tried disputing the accounts at www.annualcreditreport.com first?  I would go online and request "validation" of all the collection accounts and see what falls off.  Also mention that you've requested info from the collectors and they've not responded to your request.    You're right - don't do anything verbally.  Also if these are near 7 years old, you will re-age them by paying them off without their agreement to delete the accounts once paid.  The 7 year clock for unpaid accounts starts on the day the account went delinquent, for paid account, 7 years from the date paid.  Tread carefully and best of luck.

fry33

Thanks Addison, I will start there. These bills are 5 years or less. I did not know they will re-age if paid.