Question

Rondakennedy38

How do I get an open collection removed when the credit company no longer exists?
I have found there is a 6 year old open collection from a company that is known to be a scam and all of their contact information is disconnected. How do I get this removed if I cannot ask the collection agency?

You first go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports which you are going to examine thoroughly for all wrong information.  File disputes (preferably in writing) and retain copies of all correspondence until after this situation is fully resolved. For all legitimate (your) accounts such as the one you posted about, do a search for "Statute of Limitations for Collections) and find out what it is for your state. Look for the "date of last activity" which should be the date the last payment was made.  In my state, the SOL is 6 years, so if the timing is over six years, dispute it as being out of statute and it should be removed. You may have to be persistent, but you can get this taken care of.