Question

ABarker620

How do I get all my credit good when I'm not working and a single mom??
I had one credit card and I thought I paid it off now other things are coming onto my credit and I haven't had a card of any sort for years. I don't even try for them and right now I'm trying to get my credit to be at least a 620. If someone has any answers please contact me thanks

Most Helpful Response

First thing is check your credit reports once a year starting now.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get all 3 credit reports.  Look them over very thoroughly and file disputes on each item that is WRONG (accounts that aren't yours, wrong address, job, etc) with the credit bureau reporting them.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the item. That should clear some things up quickly.

Use the financial tools on this site to see what actions will improve your credit score.  The credit simulator is a good one.  You can see what "could" happen "if" you did a particular thing, without suffering consequences.  Then you can decide what to do.

If you don't have a credit card now, you may want to look into a secured card.  It will require depositing a few hundred dollars in the issuer's bank and that will usually be the credit limit.  The interest rate will be high but, since you want to use no more than 20% and you want to pay it in full when the statement comes in, that should not be an issue.

Keeping all account payments on time and in the correct amount is essential to improved credit scores.  Financial troubles occur in all families, not just those of single mothers.  Using common sense to make intelligent decisions is the key and you can do it.  I was a single mom and I did.