Question

youngchef

How do I get a mortgage removed from my credit score?
In my divorce, my ex was awarded the house and I was absolved of all rights to the home. My ex refuses to refinance the house in his name. He is delinquent on the mortgage and it is bringing my score down. How do I get my name off of the mortgage if he refuses to refinance the house in his name only?

Most Helpful Response

Is it on the decree?

Usually, on a copy of the divorce decree, the specific legal obligations of the two parties should be clearly noted.  A copy of that decree along with a  short letter (100 words or less) stating the fact and requesting your name be removed from that particular account effective the date of the decree should be sent to the reporting credit bureaus. Ask that this statement be made part of your file.

While the good payment record prioir to the divorce would be good to see for you, his failure to keep up his obligation should not go against you.  For your sake, I hope this works quickly.