Question

nubian

how do I get a credit reporting agency to correct a dispute that they mishandled
I sent an IRS verification to Equifax regarding a tax lien that was paid and to be removed from my file. The verification said that the IRS will contact the county that the lien was filed in. So I disputed the lien on both my transunion reporting agency and Equifax. Transunion removed it but Equifax left it there and only adjusted the date to read October of 2016. The lien was actually filed in 2007! now my Equifax report looks like I just received a tax lien that hasn't been paid. What can I do to get them to correct this error? I sent them a letter 3 weeks or more ago and have not seen the expected results as of yet.

What kinda of verification it was?... Paid tax liens is not grounds/reason for early removal, it supposes to be on your report for 7 years from date it's paid (FCRA 605 (A)-(3))... However you can request IRS to withdraw them from your report once it's paid and certain other conditions are met. So if the verification is the "FORM 12277" then it should be removed shortly, if it's just a "paid" tax release forms from county? Then it's going to be a uphill battle with Eq.