Question

Posted in Taxes

lovetolaugh89

how do i fix my score,i got cancer and can not work?
I was paying all my bills until I was told I had stage 4 colon cancer, that went to my liver and lungs .I have been on chemo ever since. I live on disability [social sercurity ]. I live from check to check . How do I fix my credit score, when I am in my situation.

Most Helpful Response

Check with business office.

Some medical facilities have an income-contingent program where they take care of the bills.  These may be via grants from wealthy donors.  Ask about it. Mention medical bankruptcy as an option you may consider in these circumstances.

In any event, just take care of the necessary survival needs (housing, utilities, food, transportation) and don't worry about the medical bills.  Stress messes things up even worse for you.  Concentrate on fighting the cancer, and disregard the bills.  If the creditors get nasty, you can send them written notice that phone calls are inconvenient and it is your legal right to have all communications via US Mail only. Don't answer their phone calls,, only answer the ones from friends who will be encourasging you. Disregard the  others.

I wish you the very best in this struggle.

I'm guessing you have some collection medical accounts?  You should contact all your creditors and see if they are willing to work out a deal, pehaps settle for lesser amounts.  If you can't pay, you may just have to wait for them to fall off your credit report, 7 & 1/2 years from date they went delinquent.   Sorry I can't give you better news and I wish you the best.