Question

Beardmiller

how do i fix my credit?

My post

I have 3 things in collections totaling 1000 dollars, should i pay them off? i want to rebuild my credit but no one seems to be able to give me an answer as to how? should i forget the things already in collections and just get a secured credit card? Also what is a secured credit card i see so many people on here talk of them but i have no idea what that means. please help

It depends on how old the collections are as to how you should deal with them. If they are over five years old it may be best to just leave them alone and let them age off. Most negative accounts are removed in seven years. Is there any incorrect info showing on the collection accounts? If so you could dispute them and hope for removal rather than corrections. You might consider trying a "pay for delete agreement" do some reading on that. Getting a Secured card is a great idea as you need some positive information on your reports. Secured credit cards are cards that you put money down for as collateral. Be aware that there is a big difference between "prepaid" and "secured". You want "secured" and you want one that is reported to all three credit bureaus. My best advice to you at this point is to do some READING so you understand all of this stuff. There is a lot of info on this site and 'google" searches can yield everything that you need to know.