Question

loveari54

How do I fix from bad to worse to worse?
Yes. Naive and stupid. Not a good combination. In addition, I was raised in a military household so when asked to jump the response was how high. Back in the fall of 2008, when my credit was somewhere around 740, I ran into hard financial times which led me into trouble with a credit card. It eventually ended up in collections. Always wanting to do the 'right' thing (paying off a debt I incurred), I contacted them. First BIG mistake. They told me I now owed 10k due to interest...etc.etc. (which is why I contacted them...there was no way I could owe that much!!). They tried to bully me and me, not knowing they only pay pennies on the dollar to the original creditor, I agreed to pay what I originally owed...the 4K...which was far better than the 10K! I can hear you all now screaming. They told me once it was paid they would note 'paid in full' on my credit report. I now find myself unemployed and on the brink of not being able to make any more payments to collections. I have already paid them well over 2K which is probably now double what they paid to the original creditor. ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!

Most Helpful Response

Use your unemployement as leverage for negotiating a final payement. You can also suggest that you may have to file for Bankruptcy protectoin..... They will probably cut their losses.

loveari54

I would love to use unemployment...if I was collecting. This is why the situation has gone to worse:-(. My boyfriend of many, many years accepted a job out of state so when I left my job I was not eligible to collect. I tried but was denied. I would so hate to file for bankruptcy...arrgghhh. I am trying to remain optomistic and I am hoping at the turn of the year jobs may open up. Even though my boyfriend makes a relatively decent salary he has his own bills and obligations...believe me he helps where and when he can and he feels awful that I am in this situation and somewhat regrets making the move for the difficulties I am facing. Thank you for taking the time to respond and your words of advice:-)