Question

777warsaw

How do I fix credit checks
I got a car loan 2 yrs ago, They checked just a few banks to get me a better interest rate, I wanted a better credit card so of course they had to check my credit, and my one banking account at Wells Fargo was compromised so I had to have my credit checked to see if it was hurt. I was never denied anything. They have to check your credit. Now I am punished and my my scores dropped to 649 and 692. I was always in the 700 range. You say I only have over 2 yrs of credit history. I am 63 yrs olc and have plenty history. I want to know how to get my scores back to the 700 range. Thank you
I don't think its fair to get punished for checking your credit.

Most Helpful Response

Hard inquiry only last in your report for 24 months, The impact to your score are relatively small unless you have 20 of them in short periord of time (soft inquiry do not impact to your score) and its impact are lessened over time, To FICO scoring model? It's only impacting the scores in first 12 months.

-

Generally speaking (odder thing have happened), when you check your own credit report? There isn't a hard inquiry add to your report, only a soft inquiry and it dose not impact your score, if your score dropped recently? It might be something else cause it.

-

Your "age of credit" varies from different scoring models, Credit Karma uses VantageScore 3.0, it use only your "open" accounts for your age of credit, however, in FICO 8? It includes your "closed" accounts in age of credit and average of credit... Example, my average of credit only 6 months on here, but my FICO 8 stated 5 years and age of credit is 14 years.

Don't worry about what your scores are on here, they are Vantage and not FICO. Check your FICO scores to see where you are with them. Hard Inquiries are removed after two years and only do damage for their first year. Also remember that you need to have active lines of credit to maintain good scores. Closed credit from the past is very important, but does not help as much as open lines in good standing.