Question

killer80

How do I find out why my score dropped so signicantly?
My score was at 746 in Jan 2014, then it went down to 701 in Feb 2014. Now its at 659 in Mar 2014. Why does it continue to drop when I have no derogatory items on there? I am close to the limit on my two credit cards but does that effect it by so much?

Most Helpful Response

Yes.  the higher the ratio of your balance to your limit drastically affects your score (no matter how high or low your limit).  I had several CCs with very low limits (ie, $300, $500, $750) [rebuilding my credit] and was using close to 95% of the limit and my scores were in the mid to mid-low 600s.  My limits went up and my balances went down (ie $750, $1250, $500) [not huge increases] but my utilization also went down to 30% [paid down a lot of my balances] and my scores skyrocketed up to over 700 (in about 4 months).  Even if your limits are like $10K, $20K, it works the same way, the more of your limits you use, the harder it hits your scores (even with excellent payment history).  Bring your balances down to under 50% and you'll see a nice change.  Ideally, you want to be below 30%.