Question

WickedNat

How do i find out what a collection is for?
I have a collections account on my report that I have disputed but no change was made. It shows Medical Data as the original creditor. I'm guessing that is the previous collection agency, but regardless, with the dates on there, it makes no sense because I didn't have any medical events at that time. It should be falling off my report in the next year or 2 anyway, but it concerns me that disputing it did nothing even though I have no clue what it is for. The only thing I can think of is anot ambulance Bill from a car accident, but that happened 10 years ago (2006), not 2010 which is what the opening date is on my report.

Write a validation letter

I have found that disputing things on line is very ineffective.  The old fashioned way of writing a letter still gets the best results. 

A Validation letter will require the collection agency to prove to the Credit bureau that they have the legal right to collect and have all the legal paperwork on hand.  They often don't and if thats the case they will have to remove the account.  If they do, then they will have the original contract with your signature for the original debt. 

Google "Validation Letter" for a template and more info on how they work.

Do not contact the Collection agency directly unless you are ready to pay them off.

WickedNat

Thank you. I send the validation letter to the collection agency, correct?