Question

Posted in Taxes

CeeJay1971

How do I find out about a tax lein?
I have a tax lien on my account that says it was reported in 2007. How do I find out why this is on there? I have always paid my taxes on time, and never got a notice that I owed any money. Please help!

Most Helpful Response

You need to provide more details to get a response. Is this Federal, Sate, or Local?

If it's Federal the lein is easily removed once the amount due is paid, and generally you can settle for less than what is owed on federal. The first step is to contact the IRS and get more information about why you have a lein.

If it's state you'll need to contact your State's Taxation Department for more information. I once had a State tax lein because I moved and filled my Federal Tax with my new address for. My new State assumed that this meant I owned them money for that year. All I had to do was provide my State tax return and everything dissappeared. 

I've found these things are very easy to remedy if it's an error on the part of a taxing entity. If it's your fault and you do in fact owe taxes you will have to pay what is due before the lein is removed. Leins are nasty bussiness and they make your Credit Score sink like a rock, better to get it fixed as soon as possible than to let it drown you. Good Luck.