How do I finance an overseas mortgage?
I'm planning to move in about a year and a half to New Zealand with my fiancée (wife by that point.) We're planning to buy land there, but build the house ourselves, and the land is likely to cost more than what we have saved right now. We're looking at a pretty small mortgage — ballpark $20K down on a $60-80K piece of land. Obviously details could change, as we haven't bought it yet, but we have researched the price range for our needs. My local bank, however, says they can't finance mortgages overseas, and I gather this is pretty typical. They can do a "personal loan", but without any collateral that costs a whole lot more, through higher interest.

So, how does one go about getting a mortgage that crosses country lines? What companies do this, and are rates likely to be substantially different from what I might expect in the US? Should I be looking at New Zealand financial companies, international companies, or both? How do I leverage my excellent US credit (near 800 according to Credit Karma) in another country where I have zero history?