Question

anurag11

how do i dispute bad debt with credit agencies
If i paid all my bad debts but they still show up in my report, although the balance is 0. Heard i could actually dispute this with the three credit agencies and have it taken out of my report. How do I dispute? Do i send a lette? Call them or do it online ?

Most Helpful Response

Disputing debt

You can dispute your reported debt with the three credit agencies online. Go to their website and click on" dispute your report." The site will take you through a step by step process to resolve the conflict. The agencies will provide you with forms you can complete and return by mail if necessary.  You can also utilize this method to update your report ( remove old information).

jwsister

Debts that are currently on your credit report will remain for 7 years (10 in the case of a bankruptcy) and that is federal law for reporting.  The bad debts will cause some problems until after they drop off the report, but that is the unfortunate price of not paying as agreed in the contract.  However, all is not hopeless!!  Just keep any future debts you may incur paid up to date, paid off as fast as possible and you'll find your credit rating getting better by the day.

I know, because I had a bankruptcy more than 20 years ago and had student loans go into default, and it has taken time to get my rating up to a good level.  Worth every bit of the effort it took!!!