Question

jennamarie913

How do I discard an account that I never made payments on?
I was approved by a furniture store but furniture was returned so quickly I didn't even receive a bill or card or anything.

Need Information

Is the account showing on your credit report?  If so, does it have a balance?  Does it show late or missed payments?

If it is showing on your credit report and shows that the account was satisfied (showing positive) leave it on there.  It's not hurting anything (unless it's impacting your age of accounts significantly).

If it showing you owe something, late payments, or the account is still open, my first suggestion would be to contact the lender and ask them to correct the information.  They should show the account as closed, zero balance, and paid as agreed.  If they do not, dispute the item with each of the credit reporting agencies.  When you dispute the item with the agencies, send them copies of your return reciept and any other proof you may have.  Force the agencies to do a complete investigation.  (They have been known to half *** some investigations).

rebuildingwoes

Oh, I forgot to add...

When you contact the lender do it in writing, via certified mail with a return reciept.  You may need proof that you asked them to correct the information when/if you dispute it with the credit agencies. 

And, when disputing items with the credit agencies ALWAYS do it via certified mail with return receipt.  DO NOT USE THEIR ONLINE DISPUTE forms.  This automates the entire process and the investigations are most often not found in favor of the consumer.