Question

bkrgrnny

How do i determine the statue date on a credit card
I just had a "lawyer" call me to say they were going to take me to court for a old credit card.
I looked on my credit karma and it shows the account being opened in 11/09 and last activity was 2/09 so how do i determine if this is just a collection agency trying to get money out of me for an old debit. Any help would be great. I live in Florida if that helps.

Most Helpful Response

I searched for you.

Whenever there is doubt, do a search for "statute of limitations for collections" and you'll get a listing of the states and the statute

You were right to put the term "lawyer" in quotes because I doubt this party was.The statute of limitations for Florida on open-ended accounts is four years.  You wrote in your post that the account was opened in 11/09 and date of last activity was 2/09 which doesn't "compute".  Might want to check that opening date again.

If the date of last activity was 2/09. that account is "out of statute" which means it is past the time that collection activity can be made.  However, it will remain on your credit report for 7 years, as required under federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act).

Should this "lawyer" call again, tell him to put the claim in writing and send it to you.  Then you can send him a "cease and desist" letter advising him that the debt is no longer collectable.  

You may want to check out the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for further information on what collectors can and cannot do without getting into a whole lot of trouble.

bkrgrnny

Sorry my typing was slower than my train of thought.  The account was opened in 11/03 and last date of activiity 2/09. Thank you for the reply. I contacted a friend ot the family that is a lawyer and his reply was "they are trying to bulls@*& you into paying a debt that is over years old ".

Attorney friend is correct!!

There are those collectors out there known as "junk debt buyers" who buy huge quantities of "out of statute debt" for pennies on the dollar and they do try to con people into paying those debts.  They're not nice, but they're out there, unfortunately.