Question

tennismama

How do I clear a protested bad report of my credit?
I have an $8,000 write-off reported by Discover. In addition the agencies have reported a residence that I have not lived. I have written and protested, but the 3 agencies deny my protest. How do I prove I've never lived where they indicate I have? Do I wait another 2 years for the $8,000 to disappear?

Most Helpful Response

With regards to the residences, it really doesn't matter. It has no material impact on your score or credit. The $8,000 charge off is very different. If you didn't pay a bill it is legitimate, it can't be disputed unless it is inaccurate. 

The charge off is not accurate and not mine as far as I can tell.  I have requested written proof many times of the charges and signature and copy of the original application and have received nothing other than a one-line bill.  This has been going on for 4 years.  I thought that maybe the incorrect addresses reflected the mailing of a bill or demand for payment to an address that was not mine.  I never had a discover card other than one I paid off many years ago.  I have tried everything I know to stop the bad reporting but have been unable to do so. 

tennismama

Thanks for your reply.  It's good advice.  I want to make sure it's not mine, but have not been able to get any kind of documents from Discover.  Nothing, nada other than a bill that says I owe $7,800