Question

JakiLynch

How do I Clean my credit after divorce?
My ex was awarded the joint credit card debt in the divorce. I paid all my debts and one I didn't even know about. It's been over 3 years and he hasn't paid it off. Now he has filed bankruptcy. The court docs say he is responsible for my attorney fees if I have to defend myself against action. In the meantime it is sitting on my credit report. What can I do?

Unfortunately the credit card companies don't care about what your divorce decree states. Have you had your name removed from all of the accounts? I would do that first. Then, I'd file contempt charges against him. That will put your complaint/judgement of contempt on record so you'll be considered during the BK proceedings.

You should really talk to your attorney about how to proceed. It should only require a short meeting, maybe an hour tops, so while there will be a cost associated, it should be small.