Question

thatboyb86

How do I build my credit score, in my specific situation?
Hello. I got myself into a bit of a jam with credit cards a few years ago. I had a Walmart card and 2 First Premier cards that I stopped paying on. As of January 2016, all 3 accounts have been settled for amounts less than the full balances. The Walmart Card went into collections but since I made the payment and the collection agency reported to the credit bureau my score has went from 530 to 583.

The First Premier cards show on my credit like they are active credit cards (130% utilization), although they both say "closed" for account status. Once First Premier reports that I've made a settlement for the accounts, how is it going to affect my credit?

These are the only "negative" things on my credit. I would love to boost my score about 100 points or so. How should I go about doing this? I have a Capital One card that's had perfect payments for almost 2 years. Should I continue to pay this card down until I get below 30% usage (at about 60% now)? Should I open a new credit card account? I have a car loan and I'm a co-signer on another car so I don't think getting another loan will help.

I would pay your Cap1 card down to under 5% if possible. I went from 35% to 1% and my score went up by 100 points.