Question

improvedlife

How do i apply for secure credit card don't want hurt my score but to improve my score.

Most Helpful Response

Do apply!!

Not trying for a secured card so you can improve your credit likely will hurt you more than not applying.  It's been quite a while since I applied for a secured card, but I don't think any credit inquiries were needed since I had to put money into a bank account as security for the credit card, so they wouldn't lose anything if I had defaulted.

Look for a card that has the Visa or MasterCard logo on it so it will be universally accepted.  Then use it a bit each month, paying off the balance when the statement comes in and you'll find your credit score will begin to climb.  After a few months, the secured card may be converted to a "regular" credit card which might have a high interest rate.  This should not be a problem if you're paying the card off every month, so no interest will be added.  In time, you'll qualify for more credit and lower interest rates.