Question

jbooger0501

How do I add a statement to my report indicating that a delinquent account is my ex husband's fault?
My ex husband took over financial responsibility of our house and home equity loan in our divorce. It is specifically written into the settlement agreement. Bank of America would not release me from the two loans until he refinanced. He had until August to refinance but has decided to stop making payments. My credit score just dropped 200 points because of this!! Can I put a statement into my report that includes the settlement agreement and an explanation of what he has done?

You can try this. Contact the credit bureaus and tell them that you have a legal document showing that your ex had responsibility for the accounts. Submit to them a copy of the agreement. You may also want to speak to your divorce attorney about this or if the are unfamiliar with the laws in this area, then consult with a consumer law attorney. I am not sure if this would work or not as you may still be on the hook, but it is worth a try and definitely worth speaking to a lawyer that practices in your state.

I forgot to answer your question. No you cannot add statements or explanations to accounts on your credit reports.