Question

spirobulldog08

How do I acquire more lines of credit when I have a lot of inquiries?
I have one credit card, two merchant cards a home loan with a credit score around 700. All of those accounts were opened within the past 14 months, but I am a recent graduate and had no credit history prior to the credit card.

From everything I've seen online, in order to build credit it's good to have more lines of credit than I currently have, plus I have about 27% credit utilization due to a furniture purchase that looks like a revolving account. So I'd like to open one or two more credit card accounts to decrease my utilization, but I currently have 8 hard inquiries on my report. I can't solve one problem without compounding another. What should I do?

Most Helpful Response

STOP applying for credit immediately you need to wait for your inquires to go down which ill take 24 months from when you made the initial inquiry each inquiry costs 3-5 points on your credit score.....Second try to get your utilization under 20% this will give you a quick boost as well at minimum 10 points....third I can personally tell you can have a awesome score without taking on all that responsibility...I have 3 CC one for 2 years with $750 limit and 2 each $3,000 for ~1 year and I have a score of 769 because I keep my utilization under 10% and my inquires currently at 1