Question

milosmommy1

How could my credit score drop by 20 points when my credit factors improved?
My credit utilization dropped from 30% to 5% and my credit age became one month older. These are the only two changes on my credit from last month. Equifax dropped 20 points while Transunion increased 1 point. The funny part is the Transunion does not reflect my most recent credit card payment and still has my credit utilization at 30%. I do not understand equifax!

Most Helpful Response

Inaccurate Scores

I wouldn't be too upset about a drop in scores on Credit Karma. I pulled my scores just yesterday from Equifax and my score was 52 points higher from Equifax compared to Credit Karma's version of Equifax. I'm not really sure why Credit Karma isn't reporting the actual score. 

milosmommy1

This makes me feel better.  How did you go about getting your Equifax report?  Do I just need to go directly to Equifax?

I do not understand equifax either. One of my credit cards utilization rate went from 37% to 9% and I increased my limit. They said they wouldn't do an inquiry and one doesn't show on my report. My score dropped 21 points. Transunion increased 10 points. Confused.

milosmommy1

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one confused!!!  

I can't be completely sure without looking at your report, but are you sure nothing else changed? Did an old account fall off your report or one that you paid off and closed just showed up on your report? I'm assuming you are going off of the credit score provided on Credit Karma. If you are, I wouldn't worry about it too much because Credit Karma's score isn't always accurate. Most banks use FICO and it scores differently. You should still check your actual report  for discrepancies. My ex-bf got Credit Karma and the two scores were vastly different and it was because he used to be an authorized user on my credit card, but isn't anymore. One of his credit reports still shows the card and the other doesn't.

milosmommy1

I am preparing to refinance my home, but was waiting to see improvments in a couple areas on my credit history.  I had examined my report with a fine tooth comb the day before the 20 point change.  The absolute only changes were both improvements:

1 - My credit age is one month older

2 - I dropped my credit utilization from 30% to 5% (and actually, in reality it's 2% because Equifax doesn't reflect that 2 of my cards were paid off and the 3rd card is just the new statement balance)

Coolriff

Doesn't seem be any changes. Only thing I noticed on one of my CCs that I opened in Feb, it hasn't yet reported payment history but it shows my balance has gone down. Not sure if that will affect score. Transunion has reported payment history though.