Question

genebees

how come rental payments and rental history isn't a factor here
I have a low score, and yet, I lived at the same building for 9 years, and my wife and I moved to a new building, and we've been here for almost 3... that should have raised my credit score

Rental info is not credit.

You are not "Financing" anything, There is no interest charged,

Cost of living expenses, Rent, Utilities, etc, are not credit and not reported to the credit bureaus.  You can ask your landlord to report it, but the costs involved generally make it prohibitive for most landlords.