Question

Skystar2009

How can you find out what you owe in collection and how can you pay it
Well it says I owe two collection agency's how do I get in touch with them to work some kind of payment or to find out from where this balance is from. And I paid two tickets I had in court I assume those were the court judgments that I had on my credit report how long before it comes off my report ?paid it last week

Most Helpful Response

Credit History...

Your credit history is just that,  YOUR history.  Items on your credit report stay there 7 to 10 years depending on the type of accounts.  As a general rule,  creditors will look at the last 2 years of your CR to make determinations.  

Before contacting any CA's on your report, get the accounts Validated. To do this, Write a letter to the CRA that is showing the account and ask for validation of the account.  You'll have to write one for each creditor. This requires them to prove that the account is yours and that they have followed the law in their efforts to collect. Including proper invoicing etc.  (a template for this type of letter can be found on line, Google it)   if they can't or won't validate the account, then they must remove it from your CR and it will go away.  IF they can validate, that is the time to work with them to get it paid off.  If you agree to pay, be sure to insist on a "pay to delete" meaning that when you pay it off they will remove it from your CR.  Otherwise it cound sit there for another 7 years, even once you've paid.  Remember to only contact collectors in writing.  NEVER by phone.  They can promise you anything on the phone and you have no proof.