Question

richl63

How can I straighten out mistakes on my credit report?
I have 21 hard hits on my credit report. Most of them I did not ask for. I don't understand how to remove them and prevent other unauthorized hard hits.

Most Helpful Response

If there's any activity on your credit report that you didn't authorize, contact the credit bureaus and dispute it (http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/CreditBureauContactInfohtm.shtml). Sometimes bad info is just an innocent error, but if you see any evidence that someone else is trying to open credit in your name, you may need to put a fraud alert or even the more drastic credit freeze on your credit bureau accounts.

On the other hand, if you have recently applied for an auto loan, you may find that a dealer ran up multiple inquiries on your behalf. In that case, although the numbers of inquiries may be large, they're only supposed to count as one if incurred in a short period (at least in theory).

richl63

Multiple hits in the past was most likely the problem but we didn't know at the time what was going on.  Most recently their was a hard hit that we were told would be a soft hit and not affect our credit.  What can be done when this occurs?  I have advised my husband to let this dealership know what happened and to make sure the specific salesman knows this difference when making an inquirey on our account.  But I need to know:  IS there a difference when making inquireies?  A hard hit and a soft hit?