Question

Halzen33

How can I start building my credit, I have a thin credit file and I need some helpful advice please!
Hi, Im 22 years old and I have come to realize that in the USA having good credit is crucial when you are trying to be independent and live on your own. I currently work at a catering company bringing roughly 1300-1500 a month, but i ONLY work few hours a day mostly less than 5, then I work at home and can bring in up to 1000 a week from that when business is booming. But recently I've been trying to get a place but my credit score has been getting in my way. I asked a friend for advice, they said to get a secured credit card and make payments and I should see improvement in less than a year. I treied checking my credit score on a few different sites, and it turns out I have a "thin file". Is there any possible way for me to know if there is anything negative I need to pay off on my credit report and any advice that will get me started in the right direction on here will be really helpful. Plz help me. Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Works with years to come

Ask  the person you can trust to(like relative, friend, parents) with good credit and good credit card with limit on the card no less then $2000 for past at least 2 years to add  your name with yr SS# to their card. In one month their on time payments will post to yr credit report. Which will be great boost. But also make sure that person who has that card is not using all limit and just making minimum payments, at least 50% off the card has to be available for purchases. Still you have to understand it takes years to build credit history. After you have score over 650 you could apply for capital one credit card, it's easiest to get and make sure use a liitle of it, don't go over 50% off yr limit and make on time payments with amounts over yr minimum payment. In 2 years after you may apply for better card. JCP store credit card is good reporter too, you might start with $300, but they raise aoutomatically every 3-6 months for $300, so with years to come, will be good for you.

Building Credit

If someone adds me to their credit card, will if effect their credit?

Have you tried this....  Go to the Transunion website and created an account.... (https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp)  You can see if they has any information on you… good or bad.   Then try buying a score from Transunion.    If they have anything on your report they should be able to generate a score for you.  If not ask for a refund.

First you need to "order" a copy of your credit report. This is free. like annual credit report . com. Or you can give these guys a call credit pro's 1-877-235-0324. They can help. Good luck my friend.