Question

movingup2014

How can I shop for a cell phone plan without damaging my credit score?
I need to get a new phone soon and I'm finding it difficult to shop and compare plans because the carriers say that your payment is based on your credit and they all want to run my credit. I know that inquiries have a negative impact and I don't want to decrease my score.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Most Helpful Response

That is BS. Monthly rate plans are not going to fluctuate based on credit scores. The only thing that will be affected by your credit scores is whether or not you have to put down a security deposit and how much of one. I would do some research on what certain companies typically charge for a security deposit, you could probably find info on this by doing some Google searches or reading reviews of different phone companies.

movingup2014

You are correct, the plans don't change but it affects the monthly payment somehow.  I've spoken to 2 carriers to try and find out what the total monthly payment would be and they both said that they would have to pull my credit first. 

That is a hard one... If you know that your credit is good, then just find the plan that works for you and go with it.

It's called a PRE-PAID Cell or No Contact Cell Phone Plan.