Question

veganluv

How can I see and deal with a derogatory remark?? I'm not even sure where it came from?!?
Ck States that I have a derogatory remark on my credit. I can't see it, don't know who it is, but can only guess that it's over 8 yrs old (when I lost my job due to a car accident - no fault of my own - leaving me with a horrible seizure disorder) during the year 1/2 it took for disability to be granted. I believe I may have had a low balance credit card, but my ex partner would have possibly received my mail as I lived in a rehab center for over a year trying to get my seizures under control, while also learning to walk again. This is my best guess, as the seizures have basically wiped away much of my long-term memory. If they would have tried to take me to court wouldn't I have known about it, or had a warrant out for no5 showing? I can't afford an attorney on disability, so that's out. Any dyi information would be appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

Sorry to hear of your situation.

First, if an account is over 7 years old then it should no longer be reported. 

To find out whats on your actual credit report get a copy. 

You can get 1 free copy of each of your credit reports once a year. The only site for them is AnnualCreditReport .com     I suggest that you get 1 copy at a time 3 times a year. That way you can monitor changes in your report.  

Once you have your copy go through it and see whats actually being reported.  (BTW I have found that the CK report is pretty much spot on with whats in my real report) 

Anything you were not aware of should be validated.  Do this by writing a seperate "Validation Letter" for each item and mailing to the Credit Bureau.  This will cause them to verify that the account is actually yours and that they have a legal right to collect.  Google it for a template and more info on how they work.  If the creditor can not validate the account it wil be removed.  Then you can deal with what evers left.