Question

Phoenix2080

How can I remove a debt from my credit report when it was not validated?
There is a debt that appears on my credit report from 2010. I sent the collection agency a Validation of Debt letter asking them to validate it or remove it back in 10/2012. To date, they haven't responded. I sent it certified mail/return receipt?

I disputed this with the credit agencies, but they come back and say that "they have verified it" so the debt agency keeps on reporting it every month.

I am sending the credit agencies a letter a long with a copy of the VOD letter sent in OCT. 2012 and the copy of the certified receipt letting them know that I never received a validation of debt and therefore, this needs to be removed.

Can I dispute this with the credit agencies? Any advice?

Validation is used when an individual is receiving calls and/or letters from a collection agency for a debt that may be past the statute of limitations.  It is not used when a debt appears on one's credit report.

If the debt on your credit report is NOT yours, then a dispute should be filed with the credit bureau.  If it is your debt, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act it must remain on your credit report until the time for it to fall off.  This is usually 7 years from the date of last payment.  It cannot be removed no matter how much you want it removed because it's part of your credit history.