Question

CSegundo

How can I rebuild my credit score?
My husband and I enrolled in a debt consolidation program and my credit has decreased, what actions do I need to take?

Open some accounts

Keep these new accounts in good standing with low balances and make sure to stay on top of your utilization rate.  Ideally you should not have balances post above 20% while you're rebuilding.  Payment history is key and weighted around 30% of your score over, and they weigh on your score for 3 yrs back.  So, you could get a secured or unsecured card through, for instance, Capital One, and I'm sure you are likely to be approved for a store charge card at a retailer you frequent.  That seems to me to be a proactive way to start building some positive history, while you pay off the older debt.