Question

ccdiva

how can i raise my credit score
need help raising my credit score and clearing my report of negative items

Most Helpful Response

In a nutshell

2 parts, Negative and Positive:

Negative:

1) Check all 3 credit agencies and try to disput them all in hopes that anything will come off (you may get lucky!).

2) Determine which collections are close to falling off (7 years) and determine if they make sense to pay (maybe not). Write the collection agencies that own the smaller debt and offer them a

payoff in exchange for them removing the collection from all 3 credit agencies (you can find sample letters on this site).

3) For all the debts that did not fall off when you disputed or are not close to falling off, and you are not able to pay in full for removal of your credit report make a payment plan with the

collections company. These debts will hurt your credit even though you pay them off but depending on how long it takes you to pay them off your actually showing a credit history and can possibly

increase your score a bit.

2nd part - Positive:

1) Apply for a secure credit card, a lot of people recommend the Capital One card (I got it) but it will never graduate to an unsecure card. My credit is so bad that I had to put 200 bucks in for

200 bucks worth of credit. I also went ahead and opened a Bank of America secured card (which can graduate) for 300 deposit 300 limit also. You have to be careful with these cards and always pay

your balances before they are due and slowly month after month you will notice your score rise because you are putting a positive credit history on your credit report.

Everything I mentioned above I learned within the last month and a half by reading these forums and I'm still learning and have just started the journey myself but with hard work and taking the

time to read all that you can I'm sure that everyone can turn their credit around...

Al