Question

wirerunner

how can i raise my credit score 100 points in 6 months

Creating a Plan to Improve Your Score

I run the consumer loan department for a midsize bank.

I have read a lot of bad advise as to how a person can raise their score 100 points or more in a short period of time. The truth is, you can raise your scores, it takes time and some of the advice given will actually hurt your score.

For example:

Having your limits increased every three months. While it’s true that a larger unused limit will improve your utilization, this advice is flawed for several reasons. 

Each time you request an increase in your limit, most lender will re-pull your credit, creating another inquiry. Too many inquiries will hurt your credit. Furthermore, most lenders will not increase your limit every three months. Therefore, you have actually lowered your score (due to the inquiry), which unfortunately makes it harder to get credit.

Improving your score is not a one stop fits all recipe. Depending on your individual credit you may want to apply for a loan, or consolidate your bills, or pay off debt. But what if you have a bad score and only 10% utilization? Then the solution for your situation would be different from someone with a low score due to high credit card utilization.

The first step to improving your credit is to analyze why your score is low, then create a plan to rectify the issue.

skuti14

Where do I go to get specific advice on my particular situation? Will it cost me money? I have paid off a lot of my debt... I have a little money owed on a couple credit cards.. but for the most part... I have several credit cards that have a 0 balance and I have my auto loan which is current and my student loans which are finally current.... the student loans went into deffered status for a little while... as my father said he was paying them and come to find out... he wasn't.

I have had bad credit card issues in the past but nothing I haven't cleared up. I get offers for credit cards constantly and I was approved on my auto loan... yet, my score says Very Poor. Not sure how that is? I did notice that I went to purchase a car a while back and they ran my credit with like 5 different banks in one day. Terrible. But other than that.... I'm not sure what I should do in my particular situation and I would love to know what to do in my particular situation!!

ABS3214

1.  divorce

2.  bad health

3.  parent plus student loans

This journey started in 2005.  Oh and a disabled veteran since 1991.  So, how can I rebuild my credit. FedLoan sent to collections then to Sallie Mae now back to fedloan.  done deferrments, hardships and this is doing is keeping my credit screwed.  Yes my daughter is in school.

Sharron47

How do i find out why my score is low?

elaeo

If a lender that you have an account with runs an inquiry, it doesn't affect your credit score. If you have an account with a lender that pulls your report, it won't show publicly on your credit report or effect your score because you have an account with them. For example, I have an American Express. They pull my report quarterly and review my account for interest increase/decrease credit limit increase/decrease reasons. Them doing this does not leave an inquiry on my credit report. I have previously called as well to have them adjust my credit limit and no credit inquiry was posted, yet they pulled my report.

You didn't answer the question, you only talked about flawed reasons.

V2014

I have 3 open CC one $0 bal, other low & one with a high bal that I just paid to go below 35% student loan and car. I have 1 item in collections. Should I start paying on it or settle? It's been 2 yrs almost . Would getting a nother CC help bring up score or would a loan of some sort help more . My goal is to raise it by 50 points.  

I have a credit card with a $1000 limit. I got an email saying that if I make 5 payments on time, they'll increase my limit to $1500 automatically. Will this be another hard inquiry that will lower my credit score?

jmb122255

Best advice get a secured credit card or 2. Use once and pay it off immediately and never use again. Do not close accounts, clear all balances. Learn to budget and stick to it.  I went from 520 to 714 in 18 months and have 3 major credit cards and 4 local gas and store cards. It takes time and patience but it works. Best of luck.....

ernestf01

Best way to get 100 points in 6 months to a year. If starting from scratch is to go to get your free annual credit reports from all three agencys and dispute all errors from exspired bad history to mispelled personal information to jobs 20 years ago. first one and hardest to hit is equifax you may be disputing there information for years. But once reports are cleaned up. You will notice a spike in three months. Get two secure bank card with no annuals fees backed bye a savings account from a bank. rotate months using them. A credit card gives points more often than a loan ever will. That and some banks after 6 months of good usage turn the secured cards into regular credit cards. as for six month no take 3 months just for every one to update every one else. Now if you go annual fee cards at the end of six month apply for no annual fee cards. like barclays. Now this is the part most people will argue. You got to trash your credit to build your credit. No you don't ask for credit increases once your score gone up enough you flat out apply for new credit lines. You don't do online applications you talk to some one in chat or on the phone. you describe your situation to them and ask them what is the best card for your credit score and history. If they give you annual fee secured card hang up. If they say they don't know hang up. Any one who know there job can ask you a few simple questions and pretty much tell you which of there cards to apply for or none of them. Now in your first few years of building new credit you are going to get a lot of hard hits and if your shopping for best rates and limits you should be. You got to trash one side of your credit to build the other side. hard hits for deceint lenders. PS I did 100 points in a year after a bankrupcy brough on from disability. But after 2 years I suggest one hard inquiry every six months and start droping cards you dont want as you get better ones but keep your oldest account. for a good credit history you got to have twenty plus accounts current and closed and in good standing. And dont be late on not one payment. As for getting credit limit increase on a card. depends on the lender if they stuck at 500 limit after a year you got to charge it up and pay it off in a few days. if they give generous increase then stay in ten percent utilization. As for charging up the 500 dollar one. make sure its withing 10 percent of your over all credit. Most people with bad credit score all make their payments on time. But they seldom upgrade their cards,negotiate better apr.when a bank says you need a co signer they never ask why. I refuse to use a co signer myself thats like linking bad credit with good credit to bring the good one down. thinking I buy a 30k car every 3 years. That shows bank tied up money or over extended. Home paid off tells lenders new roof,remodeling insulation just because house is paid off doesnt mean it isnt a expense. people got to realize equality and revolving credit are based differently. equality is on what you have. revolving is on what you can spend and pay off

sethyg2020

I was trying to get my score up like 50 pts and do not get a loan that backfired on me big time. I had a 682 and wanted to get into the 700s so I applied for a little personal loan like 350 bucks and I made every payment on time and paid it off 3-4 months later and 1 week after that my score goes from 682 to 609!!!
That s my problem... anyone have any answers why this happened to me?

jgandert

I followed the suggestions from Credit Karma and my credit soared. Getting more credit cards was a shocker to me, but I did it and pay them off each month. They want to see that. I also cleared up a disputed medical payment from a couple years before, even though I still felt I was in the right. Paying it off increased my score. 

jbmercedes2006

How do you figure out why your score is low?

WTG6477

This is not necessaryly true. I have a capitalone cc and started off w/a $300 limit, which was raised to $500 automatically after my 1st 5 on time payments, after 1yr i went online and requested an increase, i was approved for a $1000 credit increase w/no inquiry at all, soafter only having the cc for just over a year i now have a $1500 credit line......

markeith52

I have alot of hospital bills and one repossession on my credit. How can get them off 

gstudly5

I have a few loans and credit card balances that I would like to take a loan out and pay off completely.  Would it help my credit score if I take out a loan and payoff all my credit card balances and 2 personal loans?  Or would the loan hurt my score basically keep me score where I am at? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

lifeback

My situation seems to be unfairly complex. I'd recently filed for bankruptcy then a few months later was serverly injured. I was off of work for a year do to a Tramatic Brain Injury. Currently in a legal battle over outrageously  high medical bils. My other day to day bills are in collection and lost most ly every thing i owned. Am I able to have these accumlated bills to be removed due to hardship, can they be put in dispute? What can I do to regain my credit back?  

Felisa1985

I really need help with ur advice I'm having trouble with finding things that will help me but it's always a turn down what can I do it I'm Ronald I'm disabled veteran and my daughter needs help to fight her scores as well?

AML1991

Hi I know this is kind of irrelavent to this persons question, but I was wondering if you can answer my question. My fiance opened a secured credit card through Capital One in August and put me on as an authorized user. Sense then we have paid the credit line responsibly and kept the total balance low and it has sky rocketed my credit. I was wondering if I applied also for a secured credit card throug Capital One would I still get approved being an authorized user on his? I would love to see the same affect double

sahelio

Have you tried Creditmergency? I had a lot questionable items on my credit report, I paid down my credit card balances and then hired them to challenge those items, eventually they got removed now I have around 740 credit

jloes

I was thinking of applying for a bankruptcy form because i have no other options, I’m on a fixed income and cannot afford new things like auto loan, mortgage loan. My insurance premiums increased and the interest rate has hindered me from getting some benefits and securing a job I wish. I came across a comment of a man on a blog giving kudos to EXCELLENT REPAIRS for job well done in clearing off his debts and fixing his bad credit report. I took a risk by hiring him to fix my credit. I’m happy to tell you that my credit was fixed within 5-6 days by this exceptional credit expert. I was impressed by his work and that’s the reason I’m recommending him as well. You can reach him at yatesnovakovic @ g m a i l . c o m 

mollydee

Enter Your ReplyHello Everyone, for the past 8 months, I have been battling with my credit score because it was very low, until I met this programmer and senior tech analyst (treatyourself016 @ g m a i l . c o m) through a friend of mine. He helped increase my credit score from 435 to 780 to 820 I was really surprised that he helped me do it within 9days, even though I doubted him at first because he told me to pay an upfront service charge, before any action can take place. After I paid a little upfront fee. he got my credit report fixed within 5-6 days  days, my credit score increased. He also cleans up chexsystem report and the DUI report. You have 110% guarantee of a clean and safe job from him therefore, I advise you contact him (treatyourself016 @ g m a i l . c o m) for a similar service. He is completely good and trust worthy.

Raise score 100 points in 6 months...

It cannot be guaranteed. Even making payments on time and in full, which is the proven time tested method, it is impossible to predict.

BlackshearHub

I have spent a lot of time online looking for a way i could get my credit score increased have tried a lot of sites online and none really worked out, a friend introduce me to this guy COMPUTERSPYEXPERTS, he helped me clean my report and help me fix my credit score,it was stealth and neat with no trace he is a professional to the core and the best i have seen at fixing credit score and hacking into IRS database to clear tax unpaid. get him on (COMPUTERSPYEXPERTS@GMAIL. COM), (859) 7 8 0 - 3 7 7 9

jloes

Computer spy experts is a SCAM!!! I was thinking of applying for a bankruptcy form because i have no other options, I’m on a fixed income and cannot afford new things like auto loan, mortgage loan. My insurance premiums increased and the interest rate has hindered me from getting some benefits and securing a job I wish. I came across a comment of a man on a blog giving kudos to EXCELLENT REPAIRS for job well done in clearing off his debts and fixing his bad credit report. I took a risk by hiring him to fix my credit. I’m happy to tell you that my credit was fixed within 5-6 days by this exceptional credit expert. I was impressed by his work and that’s the reason I’m recommending him as well. You can reach him at yatesnovakovic @ g m a i l . c o m 

Computerspyexperts was very helpful and understanding to situation, I appreaciate their professional and due diligence when it comes to customer service.. we had a lil mix up in my tradelines, but very helpful and acted quickly.. I would highly recommend (COMPUTERSPYEXPERTS@GMAIL. COM).. This guy is the truth I will be leaving a review on google. you can text him on (859) 7 8 0-3779

99 points in 6 months

I had 4 medical bills on my report. $65, $150,$750, $1600. The goal is to pay off as many as possible. Working from the smallest all the way up. And the one for $1600 they mailed to the wrong address so i disputed. Literally made 20 calls, talked to several managers, then reported the creditor and original debt holder to the BBB. Finally got it removed. Remember these guys buy debt for pennies on the dollar. Negotiate with them...usually you can get them to accept half the payment. Get it in writing first. Second go to your bank and talk to them. Get a pre paid credit card. You basically put money on the card up front then charge just groceries or gas. Keep it less than 20 percent. Also get a loan for debt improvement. In my case they loaned me a $1000 and kept it in my account i could not touch it. Then they withdrew the money from my automatic deposits from my paycheck. 6 months later i went from 597 to 696. If your problem is the same as mine...you just have to get off your behind and do it.

allan0918

ive paid off old debt the last few month.. only have 2 left to pay off.. i already got the sercured card through my bank... it did help a lil bit .. Not to much though!!  I dont know what else to do .. my total debt is less than 1000 dollars.. i cant quallify for a loan to help build my score

bobbyjoeboggs

That is bs. No way that could be true. Bad advice, and it is also impossiabl.

elaeo

That's a shame because if you would have waited, behind medical bills will soon have no effect on your credit score.

hopey028

When you paid off your medical bills, did they come off of your report? 

kjarrett1991

check your credit report and see whats on it that might be why but just keep paying on your card on time and eventually they will increase your limit it might take sometime

silkmandel

Who did you get the loan through?

cpaige08

Can you please explain the part about them loaning you $1000 and keeping it in your account.  

My situation is a bit different.  I have had a Kohls card, a Best Buy card, three vehicle loans and one mortgage.  I did have some late payments and derogatory remarks from when my ex used my Kohls card and I didn't know, therefore was late on paying.  I am going to write Kohls and see if they will work with me to remove any of those negative marks.  

I don't have a lot of credit and a small portion of it is bad.  How can I increase my score quickly?  I got a Home Depot card a few months ago and just recently requested an increase.  They did a hard hit on my credit which lowered my score by one point.   I learned my lesson but sadly the hard way.  

Since my husband and I both don't have hardly any credit, the max HomeDepot would give me on a credit line was $500.  This is not helping me improve my score.  :( 

Chiazar

Scob: where did you find that type of 1000 loan? A credit union? I am interested in somethign eimilar to improve my credit. I have love revolving accounts. thanks!

JoulesMSU

"Negotiate with them...usually you can get them to accept half the payment."

While this is true, it's the opposite of what the original question is. Paying off medial bills will increase your score, but SETTLING medical bills (like negotiating to pay less than you owe) will HURT your score, because it won't be marked as "paid", it will be marked as "settled".

Paid is good for your score, in the new scoring system (like what CreditKarma shows), paid medical bills are dropped completely, so the negative mark simply disappears from your record when you pay it. However, something that is "settled" is a negative mark (because it shows you didn't actually pay what you owed) and stays on your report for like 7 years.

So if you want to increase your score "quickly", putting a negative mark on it for the next 7 years is NOT the way to do that.

bosslady772

What loan company did you use ?

jloes

jloes

Get your credit cleaned with the help of a reliable personnel Fico and Ex Transunion agent! He's tested and trusted. I had a very low credit score (around 520) and it was ruining my life. I needed help. I was very depressed because of it and had been trying to repair it but It just seems nothing was capable of getting my score raised quickly. I needed something done fast. I had read a lot of good things about this hacker online which gave me a go ahead to try him out. I almost gave up my search for a real agent because I kept meeting fake people who are not capable enough and who are always after the money, I've been conned by them. this programmer is not about the money but about attaining a good reputation at always satisfying his customers. My credit score is now 780, 790 and 820 on all big 3 bureaus and it was 100% confirmed by FICO. This is my way of showing appreciation for a job well done on my credit report. Reach out to him for help at yatesnovakovic @ g m a i l . c o m  He's affordable and always at your service.  

What do I need to get in writing I have comcast on my credit report, and maybe one hospital that's almost due to come off my credit.

If You GOT TIME.....

Get a Credit Report and go to work! I raised my credit score 92 points from April 2014 to Dec 2014. Takes alot of letters to Credit Bureaus! You have to know what to say and know how to read your Credit Report! It can be done! Also, I had alot of old debt, but it was worth the letters and time to get my score up, I have 1 more item coming off in Jan 2015. Experian will send you an updated Credit Report every time you dispute a debt! They will also tell you when the debt is coming off your Credit Report! Out of the 8 items removed, 4 were by Experian telling me, what dates, items were coming off my credit report and me sending a letter to remind them! The other 4 was timing and them not responding in 30 days, so they had to remove by default! So again, know what to say in your letters and make them search for the Co. and bad debt! It will work, with time and alot of hard work, it's worth it to stay on top of your Credit! IT"S IMPORTANT! You will thank me!

nsardina

Can I ask, What you said in your letters to get the 4 off from experian not responding in time?

TQN7

Yes, can you please share what needs to be written? 

m3shelle

Thanks for the message TheChefswin. 

After analyzing my situation I believe the best step, for my situation, is to contact the cb in writing.  Did you work with anyone on this? I am skeptical.. especially if diligent online research does the trick in helping what and how to type.

Michelle

Chanehead

Enter Your Reply. I disputed some errors from a childsupport debt to experian and transunion, I mailed it return receipt so I'd know when they got it! Only one of the two responded saying they want remove it but will update it to the correct balance being that it showed a great deal more then what i'am behind, mind you I'm no longer on childsuport I pay a set payment towards the arrearages until it's paid off, so my question to you is if they do not respond who do I take this up with to guarantee they remove it if they fell to respond that is within the given time 45 days?

Sarahtroll

Enter Your Reply What do i have to say to get the help?  And it's just to the 3 credit bureaus right? 

Thanks 

hopefulone1

I would and have been trying but it seems impossible. Im told that I already recieved a free credit report well I havent! And now Im chasing everyone just to try and get it from SOMEONE!!!!!

dartanyan1990

How do you mean by "The other 4 was timing and them not responding in 30 days, so they had to remove by default!"? If you send a letter and they don't respond within that timeframe they must remove the report?

Thanks in advance for your help!

bubbs922

What questions did you ask them? 

beckfree27

Yes! I would love to know exactly what you wrote in your letters? Were the items due to come off? Or were you just questioning their validity? I have a few that should be coming off soon, they have been coming off in a timely manner. A lot of items have been picked up by collection agencies, and are all 5-7 yrs old. I cannot read your replies to everyone else unfortunately. So sorry if you are repeating yourself. Even if you could copy and paste your responses that would be helpful. Thanks so much!

nkmend

Can you tell me what to write in the letters? What about late mortgage payments in the past? 

nkmend

What do you write in these letters? What about late mortgage payments in the past? 

michelle0816

What do you say in the letter?

clark1969

What do you say in your leeters. where can i get a sample letter?

catalin75

can i have an adress where you sent the letters pls/. Thanks

Enter Your Reply

Buckeeye68

Enter Your Reply can you give me an example what to write I'm scared it will reopen the debt

jloes

158 points in 45 days

I went from a 496 TU to my current 654 in a little over 45 days and I'm still  getting positive bumps every two weeks. Just follow the basic formula and anyone can do it. At my current rate I should be hitting mid 700s by summer time. 

-Pay bills on time

-have 3 open credit cards with utilization below 10%

-pay off old collections starting with the most recent ones as they have the greatest impact on your score

-don't apply to too many places. Get your three cards and call it quits. it's all you will need for now

It's very simple. 

Juanisha82

Very true. I did the exact samething

GadgetMang

I'm going this route also, so far my score is 595 TU and the 2 cards I have are secured. When I hit 6 months on one of the cards going to apply for a  Amazon Prime Card. (unsecured store card) 

Keeping utilization below 10% is a bit unrealistic for me, my credit limmit's are $700 and $200, so will just keep them under 30%. I'm expecting positive results for my score in 6 months and will post if it was.

jetsettinbeauty

I did the exact same thing. I paid off all of my debt-made settlements-and had them removed from my credit reports. I also went through my bank and applied for a Chase Slate credit card. I was approved for a credit line of $500 and I kept my utilization below 30% and after the 1st billing cycle my 3 scores jumped 60+ points. I added must husband as an authorized user to that account and his scores jumped 100+ point within the 1st month of me adding him. I pay the minimum amount each month and I make sure at the end of each billing cycle my utilization/balance of the card is less than 30% of my credit line. I like credit karma because it gives you an idea of your crdit scores, but I absolutely LOVE MYFICO because those scores are 100% accurate.

blackgoddess

What credit cards did you get with a 496 credit score?

blackgoddess

What cards did you get with a 496 credit score?

vendetta1014

This is true. Before reading this i also started trying to bump up my credit from a 488 to a now 596 and this was within the last 3 months. I applied for 2 secured Credit cards and utilize at the most 26% of them and have also started looking at paying off old debt. It works you just have to want it!

Jahking23

How are you paying off old collections? Don’t some fall off after a while? I don’t want to pay something that’s gojnf to go away.

jloes

jloes