Question

shygirlswin

How can I (quickly?) raise my score from the low 700s to 800s?
I've been working through school for several years now, and with scholarships and grants I haven't needed to take out any loans. The problem is, my credit is very "new"- I got my card in April 2016, it is now mid September- and I even bought my first car in cash. The score right now seems to be stuck at 718, fluctuating between 710-720 range, and it has definitely plateaued. How can I raise it quickly? In the near future I want to qualify for a mortgage, and I want at least 2 solid years of great credit.

Most Helpful Response

Your request to raise your score from 700 to 800 in  short period of time is going to be next to impossible.  You can jump by near 100 points when your score is between 300 and 500 just by getting credit and managing it correctly.  The problem, is that as your score gets higher, the increases become more difficult.  To start with, you are going to need 10-15 years of proven credit   You can cheat, go find about 20 friends or relatives that have super credit and have had credit for 15-20 years.  Then, ask them to add you as an authorized user on their accounts.  By default, you inherit their credit card account length and their account information.  To get in the 800 range, you need to have a mortgage, auto loan and a total of about 20 accounts, all in good standing and all with perfect payments for a long period of time.

I am actually hoping to get a mortgage, as my father is retired and has savings he wants to invest in property with me from old property he owned previously. I don't think my score obviously will qualify- and you made it sound like a big loan is necessary. Where should I try to have my score / length of credit prior to applying for a mortgage?