Question

bearadactyl

How can I pay off a debt is the collections agency appears to be out of business?
I have student loan debt that I want to get paid off. When I log into my account on the original creditor's site, it says my balance is $0 (I'm assuming because the debt was purchased by the collection agency). The collection agency is called Primary Financial Services. I've tried the multiple phone numbers I've found online, but they are all out of service. The BBB's profile of them says that they are believed to be out of business. How am I supposed to make payments and get this removed from my credit (and keep my wages from being garnished) if the agency that purchased the debt doesn't exist anymore? Thanks in advance.

If the collection agency that is reporting on your credit reports no longer exists, then it would be impossible for you to pay them, so I would dispute the account directly with the credit bureaus as this collection agency most likely does not own the account any longer. Be aware though, that if the account has not updated in a long time and you dispute it and it does not get removed, it will update and ding your scores.