Question

lawgeek

How can I improve my credit score?
My score is currently 697 on TU and Equifax. It's the same on Credit Karma as the actual bureaus, at least for TU. I recently settled a collections account (could not pay in full or pay to delete, and it was holding up something professionally, so ignoring it was not an option) and my other two collections have been removed from my reports entirely after dispute.

My credit card utilization is high and I'm trying to pay that down, but it will take me a very long time. Even though it's only approx. $1000 in debt, I have $0 in savings. The limit on that card is only $1500. I have a store card I'm not using that has approx. $300 limit. My only other credit card was charged off (that's the collections account I settled).

Other than paying down my credit card utilization, are there other steps I should be considering for building my credit? Is it better in the long term to try to find another credit card to replace the one that got charged off or just to avoid hard inquiries all together? I'm assuming there is no way to remove the settlement from my account prior to the 7 year period, but if I'm wrong about that, please let me know. I was not able to negotiate removal as part of the settlement.

Do yourself a big favor and take the time to read the articles on this site so you can learn how credit works and how to build a good credit score.  I learned a lot and now enjoy the benefits of a very good credit score, and I'm a retiree on a fixed income.

lawgeek

This is a very unhelpful, non-response.