Question

Mirin

How can I improve my credit score?
Hi, I used to have 700+ credit score but I went to school in my country for about a year, and the person I left in charge of making payments for me on my Verizon balance (since I had to close it), missed one last payment because Verizon never sent a bill that usually comes before the month ends. So, when I came back earlier this year (2015), I found out that the Verizon balance went to collections. Of course, I paid it off. But because of it, my credit score went down to the 500s. Now, I managed to improve my credit score to 671 in TransUnion and 669 in Equifax. But my Credit Score has stayed like this for a while now. I pay my bills on time. My credit card is paid and has $0 balance at least 1 week before it's due. I'm almost done paying off my student loans and I have never missed a payment (except when it was in deference). Even with this, my credit score just won't budge. How can I improve it?

NOTE: I called Verizon and explained my situation. They told me to call the credit bureaus, and I did (at least tried to, all I got was an automated system and the form I filled out online never got a response).

PLEASE HELP! I'm planning on buying my first house either 2016 or 2017. I want to improve my credit as much as I can before then.

I would really appreciate any advice or insight. Thanks!

Learn to write "Goodwill Letters" and send them to Verizon corporate. If the first letter fails, keep trying. Do as much reading as you can on all credit topics, it is time well spent as what you will learn will benefit you the rest of your life.