Question

leftyb10

How can I improve my credit?
I was laid off from my job for a long period of time and working only part time, low paying jobs during that time. I, was also really stupid when it came to managing my money when I was younger. In the time that I was laid off, I was attending college for a degree. Now, I have multiple accounts that are late, as well as, student loans. What is the best way to increase my credit score? I'm starting to pay them off, just didn't know what the best way to do it was. Do I pay the oldest first and work my way to the newest debt?

Most Helpful Response

First of all, are your student loans Federal ones?  If so, have you consolidated them and moved into an income-based plan?  If not, then do so right away.  Go to www.studentaid.ed.gov and under "Repay Your Loans", click on link for Income-Based Repayment and Loan Consolidation.  It's easy to do and can save you a ton of money.  As far as paying off your debts, I think you should visit www.credit.about.com and click on the tab at the top that says "Pay Off Debt".  Lots of great info.  Best of luck!