Question

tuffypaige

how can i help my credit, i cant even get approved for the secure cards

Take a look at your credit report card here on CK and make sure you're up to date on everything. Consider paying on accounts that are in collections.

lkrause74

In my case, the accounts I had in the past have been charged off and are now in the hands of separate collection agencies. Ive been told that paying those separate agencies will not remove the original debt from my credit report as it would just appear as a separate debt from the original one. So now, Im kind of stuck with them. Will they eventually be removed from my credit report? Isnt the length a debt of any kind can stay on ones report just 7 years??

Have you checked all 3 reports?

If you have not checked all 3 credit reports recently, it would be a very good idea to get into the habit of checking them once a year starting now.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all WRONG information such as "not my account" with the credit bureau reporting same.  They then have to investigate and either verify or delete the entry.  It is not at all unusual to find errors on credit reports.

Just this action alone may raise your credit score a few points. Make it your goal to pay all credit accounts you have (utility and phone bills, rent, insurance) on time all the time.  If, after checking your credit reports, you are still unable to get a secured card, check with your bank or credit union to find out exactly what is preventing this and work on getting it fixed.