Question

RangerRicky

How can I get my free credit reports when told I have to send proof of the information submitted?
Their reasoning is that the information does not match information in their files. They will only accept specific documents for verification, which I have all except for my address. They want a DL with current address (cost for this if not time for renewal), a utility bill ( not in my name), or current pay stub or W-2 ( do not get pay stubs and recently moved to location). I am sure their is erroneous information on all 3 reports that is impacting my credit report. This is extremely frustrating. I provided proof of identity and SSN. I believe that is sufficient. It works for I-9 eligibility to work requirements.

Have you tried calling the bureaus directly? I'd personally be a little leery if someone outside of my employer or a govt agency asked for that level of personal information.

Most Helpful Response

When you request credit reports, you do have to give your Social Security number to get them and it is a secure site (look for the https: in the address).  Have you heard of identity theft?  Or similar names?  A friend's former bank sent his statement and processed checks to other people in different cities (one in a different state) twice.  All 3 had some account with that particular bank and all 3 withdrew those accounts after the final incident.

You don't have to send your driver's license, just a photocopy of same.  As long as it shows your current address.  After you move, you have 30 days to report a change of address to Motor vehicles division to get a sticker with your current address to put on your license if you moved within state.  Of you changed states, then you may have to find a different ID such as copy of bank statement, rental agreement, insurance, telephone bill.  There are several things listed by the credit bureaus that are acceptable. 

Or, you could wait to get your reports after your license is renewed and you make a copy.  Your choice if you want to see the records.