Question

Runion78

How can I get my credit score up? Haven't even used my credit in years.
Due to long illness, I haven't worked or used my credit in years. How can I get my current score up to where it needs to be?

improving your credit

The basics of continuing to improve your score are this:

#1.  Pay your bills on time.

#2.  Keep credit card balances below 30% of your limit (ideally keep them @ 7% of your limit which seems to be a magic number)

#3.  Maintain a MINIMUM 2  and ideally 3-5 revolving (credit card) accounts and NEVER close those accoutns out.  The LENGTH of time you have a payment history accounts for 15% of your score.

#4.  You will also want to have an installment loan of some type.  Any loan that has a set payment for a set length of time qualifies (IE. Car payment, home, etc.)

#5.  Avoid hard inquiries. IE.  Any application for the consideration of extending a loan.  Inquieries from sources like Credit Karma have no impact.

Finally... seek the counsel of a credit expert on strategies to improve your scores (such as my company).  Consultations are free.  Hope that helps.  Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Joe