Question

cfcyster

How can I get a credit card with no credit history. I'm on disability. No one will help me.
I have been on disability since I was 3. But I want to build my credit because I'm 25, and need to be more self-sufficient.
Everything I keep reading says, apply for a credit card to help build your credit , but no place will give me a credit card because I have no credit history.
This is very frustrating.

Most Helpful Response

Go for a secured card or try AMEX

The best bet for you is getting a secured credit card. There are many banks like Bank of America and Capital One, who issue such cards. You have to pay a security deposit (which, becomes your credit limit) and that can get you started.
Another option is try applying for an AMEX charge card. They have to be paid in full every month, hence their approval is bit easier.

Also, do you have a job? (don't have to answer this question here). If yes, then I think you can be issued a regular credit card as well. I got my first one with no credit history, purely on the basis of job, and it had generous credit limit (3K+). One of the three options should work for you.