Question

Raguraji

How can I fix my credit score if I am, well, how do I put this... very poor?
Hello everybody. :) ... How are y'all? First if all, I'm here after being told of my credit score(under 550) by a family member... So I'm here to ask how I can raise it quickly/or as quick as possible. From what I know my student loans seem to be the cause of my credit scores being low, but I stopped the loans after I was kicked out of my university for having Epilepsy. I would like to raise my score because I'd like to one day rent an apartment or buy a used car. I have a couple of jobs, which include being a gardener, housekeeper, mechanic, tutor, and car washer making around $700 a month, by the way I am 22. Thank you for the help in advance. :)

Most Helpful Response

Good Credit has little to do your income

And more to do with how you manage it.

Granted, it is very difficult to raise your score with limited income, but it can be done. 

The biggest factor to good credit is paying on time.  And student loans never go away. You borrowed the money and spent it, you are responsible for paying it back. ( I must say though, that I have never heard of a school "Kicking" someone out for a medical condition. That is illegal, If that is the case I'd pursue a lawsuit.)  

I've heard of people in their 60's still paying off school loans because they didn't take care of them when they were younger.

Even just making the minimum payments will help to raise your score.  After you get back on track with them you could start taking steps to build your credit.

There is no quick fix. On average it takes about 2 years of good payment history to really give you a stable score. Otherwise your score fluctuates a lot.

If you haven't already done so, get a copy of your credit report. Annualcreditreport.com is where you can get a free copy of your report once a year from each of the 3 CRA's.  I suggest getting a copy from 1 of them at a time, spread out over the course of a year, one every 4 months. this will help you see whats going on with out any cost.

There is a lot of good info here on CK. I know it really helped me to rebuild my credit over the last couple of years. I sure learned a lot. Hope you can too.

Raguraji

Ok, I will see when/how I can begin paying back the loans, since I only make around $700 a month, minus the rent of $575, and other living costs. Yes, I was immediately expelled from my military University for having a seizure in a class, and being diagnosed with Epilepsy. I can? I didn't know I could sue them, but this happened nearly 3 years ago, can I still do it? I have been trying to get other jobs, but since I have Epilepsy I'm unable to work anywhere, I keep getting fired or denied work, so I just work with my cousins or where ever I can. Thank you, I will try to get my credit report and attempt to pay my loans. Thank you once again.