Question

Plpiers

How can I find out what credit cards I have open and if someone has applied for credit in my name

Most Helpful Response

It can be tough! I have JUST been the victim of identity theft/credit card fraud, and the way I found out about each card (three so far) varied. For two of them, it was because of new hard inquiries on my credit reports. For another, it was when a platinum American Express card was delivered to me via UPS...and I knew I had neither applied for a card, nor had I accepted a pre-approved offer, so I got on the phone ASAP! The interesting thing...well, DEVIOUS thing...is that the accounts were set up for paperless billing, which means I would never have received a paper statement for any of them. Had it not been for my careful monitoring of my credit reports, including alerts, I'd be in the dark. My best advice is to set up alerts, if you haven't already done so, both here on CK and with any credit cards you have, so that you're notified immediately if anything changes on your credit report and/or anything is charged on any of your cards.

vves

You said you got on the phone asap. who did you call?? I have just received a letter stating i was denied a card i never applied for. i have no credit and no credit cards so it was denied

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  You can dispute any wrong information with the credit bureau showing it.