Question

lessa1626

How can I find out the statue of limitation on my debts?
My accounts are about four years old now and I am wondering when the statue of limitations will be up on them so I can tell the collectors still harassing me multiple times a day to take a hike? They are threatening to "send out documentation" so I think I am close to the end of it if they are trying so hard. When does the time frame start? When I stopped making payments? When the original creditor sent the account to collections? When that collector sold my account to another collector? I keep getting alerts from Credit Karma about new delinquent accounts on my report, but there shouldn't be any NEW accounts, just the old ones? Could they be re-aging these accounts so the time frame re-starts? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

You can do a search online for "Statute of Limitations for collections" and it varies by state.  The statute begins after the "date of last activity" (DOLA) which is usually the last payment made.  Creditors cannot legally re-age a debt.  You can stop the calls by notifying them IN WRITING (send it certified, return receipt required) that telephone calls are inconvenient and that all contact from date of receipt of that letter MUST be in writing via U.S. Mail, as is your right under FDCPA.

Of course, the negatives from these debts having been sent to collections are going to stay on your credit report for 7 years from DOLA.

It would have been better if you had kept paying your debts, so make sure from now on that you do so so you can build a good credit score and benefit from that.

lessa1626

Thank you for the quick response! I am in FL, the statute is 4 years for credit cards, so if I made a last payment in 2009 then it would be out of the statute. Do you know anything about the "new" deliquent accounts flagged by Credit Karma? They are the same accounts being sold to different collectors, right? Either way I will take your advice and send them something in writing. From researching online, I read that I should also send them a debt validation letter so maybe I will do both. Of course, that means I have to actually answer a call and find who they are, an address, etc. That wouldn't be considered acknowledging the debt would it? Because I also read that any acknowledgement of the debt can re-start the statute again.

And believe me, I was paying fine for years, but when my father got sick, I went home to help take care of him, taking a leave of abscence from work to do so. I contacted all of the companies and none would work with me so I had to let them go.

Thank you again for the advice!

You can find the names of your creditors by going to annualcreditreport.com and getting copies of all three credit reports.  They should give all the information on who you owe (if it is NOT your account, file a dispute) and give contact informatiion and the date the debt is due to fall off your credit report.