Question

Creditamatuer11

How can I do damage control on my credit score?
I used to have pretty good credit. I moved in 2012 and had to use my credit cards on a large amount of expenses. One of the cards I used frequently (stupid, yes I've learned from my mistake) was a Nordstrom's card with a really high interest rate. As the months went by it became hard for me to pay all the minimum payments and just became too much. For a while one credit card monthly payment was $392 in addition to other open accounts I had. I really needed to just pay them off. I'm finally in the process of doing that with my tax return and bonus and I've been able to reduce my credit card debt from over $8,000 to about $3,000 and still working on it. Because I had a few accounts that were maxed out in the past and because I had a lot of accounts with longstanding balances, my score dropped drastically down to 628. This site says my recommendations are to open up another credit card. I already have three regular credit cards and several store cards. I do not think I need to open another one. Is there anything else I can do that would help increase my score quick? I'd like to look to buy a car in about a year and want to make sure my credit has increased by then. Please let me know what would be most effective.

Thanks,
Christina

Most Helpful Response

First of all, never take the credit card recommendations they give you on this site, those are just ads.  Secondly, learn more about how to rebuild your credit at www.credit.about.com.  Best of luck!

You are on the right track. Continue to get you cc debt down under 30% utilization. Check out Mike Roberts with Credit repair solutions. He has a lot of great tips....