Question

monkeybear87

How can I deal with rude debt collectors?
I am trying to settle a debt and VERY politely asked for validation of this debt. Maybe I misunderstood all the credit advice I read, but I thought asking for validation was the best place to start, so I don't pay someone and get the short end of the stick (like my debt not going away because they no longer own it). I was firm but polite and respectful in my letter. The response I got was:
1.) I did not know what I was asking for, they do not have to provide me with validation
2.) My request was untimely and I do not know the law, and they do.

What can I do? The original creditor said it is out of their hands, and I have to deal with the collection agency. Please help, I don't know what to do and the collection agency isn't even trying to help me. I stated very clearly I had every intention of settling the debt if it was found to be valid.

Thank you for your time.

Most Helpful Response

According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, debt collectors MUST provide the necessary information to validate a debt when requested or else they can forget about collecting on the debt.  The original creditor sold the debt to the collector so it is not longer their concern. 

A proper validation is a copy of the original contract you signed when taking on that debt.  Most collection agencies know that and most cannot provide the information.  You can tell the collector that, since no validation was provided, you cannot consider the debt to be your obligation.  And, I would file a complaint with the FTC.gov on this collection agency should they continue attempts to collect on this debt.