Question

jodiphillips

How can CK and Experian scores be 100 points different?!
I have a car loan and two credit cards all in perfect order and a CK credit score that is decent. One of the credit cards began to list the customers' credit scores from Experian, and it is almost a full 100 points lower than CK. I read that CK is a combination or average of all three credit scores.

I don't get the annualcreditreport.com free credit reports again till April 30, quite a while off...I was interested to find out that they would be offering the credit score monthly, but it can't possibly be correct!

What gives? is this normal?

Most Helpful Response

Each credit bureau has it's own method of coming up with a credit score.  You can probably get some info on how they do that if you Google "Vantage Scores" or "Plus Scores".  The only score that really counts is your FICO score.  That is what your creditors get when thinking about loaning you money.  You can get your FICO score, but it will cost you a bit of money.  You can go to www.myfico.com for more info.  All the other scores are just ways that each credit bureau makes money off unsuspecting consumers such as ourselves.  It's a crummy system, but that's the way it is.  A website I really like is www.credit.about.com.  Keep fighting the good fight!

jodiphillips

Thank you Addison170.  I have been on Myfico.com, but had not been aware of credit.about.com.  I will check that out.

I appreciate the info.  It might be worth it to spend a small sum to get the accurate score(s); and then in addition, address any inaccuracies on the various credit reporting agencies' reports.  I'm approaching where I want to be score-wise, but still need some work, and, of course, time time time.

Much obliged.

Thank you again.

Credit cards with TU FICO free

I have cards which provide monthly TU FICO scores for free.

Walmart credit card (GECRB), updates monthly before the 10th of the month.

Barclay's rewards, supposed to be monthly but not as dependable as GECRB as far as updating every month on time.

Several others advertise they offer the same thing for free, but these are the only two I currently have.

i just found out some credit cards you can now check your fico score for free depending on who you have

(1) Credit Karma is NOT one of the credit bureaus but an interactive online site to help people LEARN how to build and maintain a good credit score.  What is shown on here is an approximation used just for that purpose.

(2) Experian, Equifax and Transunion all receive different information from creditors you may have so their score models are going to be different because they don't all have the same information.  If you would read the articles on this site you'll learn how credit works.

(3) Credit Karma information comes from Transunion, only. 

jodiphillips

Thank you for your interest.  Please be advised that people will listen to your "help" if you use a respectful tone in your email.

First of all, I have read many articles here, and had you had your thinking cap on, you would have suggested:  Experian may have something on their report that others do not - it may be an error - check it for accuracy.

Second, obviously, as I have raised my credit score from zero into the "good" area I might know something about CK, and know that it is NOT one of the three major credit reporting bureaus.

And thirdly,on the first page, it states that CK gets its score info from TU.

These are all obvious, and I'm sorry you treat posters as if they were uneducated (which actually may the case at times).   I believe that if others are like you and treat readers this way, I'll head to another source than this one for credit advice.

I've done a lot of work since first coming to CK, and the disparity caught me off guard.  I'll come up with the answer myself, thank you very much.  Now that my initial shock is over, the route is clear to fix the problem.

Have a nice day.