Question

btworthing

How can an attorney be pursuing collections of an old account that is no longer on my credit report?
I have received mail from an attorney that is attempting to collect on an account that is not listed on my credit reports. I don't recognize the lender listed. It may be an account purchased by a company that buys old debt. They have threatened legal action and now skip tracers are calling my work. How do I find out what this account is without giving the skip tracer or attorney more personal info about myself? Or how do I dispute it if it's not on my credit report?

You can tell them that phone calls at work can get you fired which means you couldn't pay them even if you still owed the debt, which you doubt.  As is your right under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you will only respond to written communications sent via US Mail and you want that first letter to be a validation of debt. Likely this is someone with a name similar to yours or you have been contacted by a 'scumbag' debt collector who is just trying to collect on debts that can't be collected.  Read about the FDCPA to learn your rights.