Question

kik1

how can a school that sounds fake send someone to collections ?
I received a letter in the mail saying that my account is in default and my credit will be hit if I don't pay $713 immediatley. It also said halfway through the letter that they would make a special consideration and if I was able to pay half of the bill, $356.50, then they would call it good and it would be put on my credit score as settled. I have never even heard of Penn Foster School let alone attended it. Please let me know if there is something I can do to make sure this doesn't get on my credit score. Thank you.

Most Helpful Response

Get copies of all 3 credit reports at annualcreditreport.com, check to see if this is on one and file a dispute on any and all WRONG information.   This is something you should be doing annually anyways.

Send a copy  letter back to this "school" along with a letter requesting validation of the debt.  Send this letter via Certified, return receipt requested.  Keep a copy of the letters (yours and theirs) and the card when it arrives.  If they don't send proper documentation, the collection attempts must halt.

It's funny you mention this because

Well the same thing happened to me and they reported it on my credit report and I never went there either. I called them and they tried to verify it and couldn't since it wasn't me, however it happened to be my brother mistaken for me. They quickly apologized and sent in the deletion to all three credit bureaus and it should be off by the beginning of February. I would call them and have them verify it's you since if they cannot they need to delete it immediately and report it as such. Go ahead and try this and see what happens. Good luck...